Table of Contents:
Commercial Vehicle / D.O.T. Inspections
- Where can I find the Massachusetts commercial vehicle inspection regulations?
- How does the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles define commercial motor vehicles?
- Is the Massachusetts Commercial Inspection the equivalent of the federal ‘DOT” Inspection? Do I need to get both?
- Do I need to get my trailer inspected?
- Where can I find information about obtaining a D.O.T. number?
- What is a 7D vehicle?
- Are there special inspection procedures for 7D vehicles?
- Do you supply “loaner cars” for people leaving their vehicles at your shop for repairs?
- What kinds of trucks is Birchler’s Automotive capable of towing?
- What is ASE Certification?
- How many tests are there for auto technicians?
- How can I learn more about the ASE certification registration/testing process?
- What are EVTs?
- Where can I learn more about EVT certification program?
- Where can I find out about the various EVT exams and how to prepare for them?
- Where can I obtain training to prepare for EVT certification tests?
Where can I find the Massachusetts commercial vehicle inspection regulations?
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/commercial_regs.pdfHow does the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles define commercial motor vehicles?
A commercial vehicle shall include the following vehicles:
1) The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, or
3) The vehicle is used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring
accordance with the Hazardous Materials Regulations of the United states transportation. Any commercial motor vehicle that singularly has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or less and is designed to meet emissions inspection in addition to all applicable safety inspection requirements; or
4) A single full, or semi trailer, used in commerce, with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight over 3,000 pounds
5) Any vehicle which has a vehicle weight or curb weight, of more than six thousand pounds, unless such vehicle is a sport utility vehicle or passenger van or a pick–up truck or cargo van meeting the definition of private passenger vehicle; or
6) Any vehicle which has five or more wheels on the groundIs the Massachusetts Commercial Inspection the equivalent of the federal ‘DOT” Inspection? Do I need to get both?
No. If you are required to get the Federal DOT inspection, the Massachusetts Commercial inspection will meet that requirement as well. Your paperwork is proof of the Federal DOT equivalent inspection. This is a new feature of the Massachusetts Commercial Vehicle Inspection.Do I need to get my trailer inspected?
It depends on the trailer type and its use. A single, full or semi-trailer, used in commerce, with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating over 3,000 lbs or a truck/trailer combination that exceeds 10,000 GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating) needs a commercial inspection every year. Trailers for personal use (boat trailers, camper trailers, utility type trailers) do NOT need to be inspected.Where can I find information about obtaining a D.O.T. number?
The following link contains information regarding the procedures for obtaining a D.O.T. number.(D.O.T. number application form… MCS -150)
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/print-forms/print-forms.htmWhat is a 7D vehicle?
A 7D vehicle is any vehicle used to transport ‘school pupils’ other than school buses. These vehicles are called ‘school pupil transport vehicles’ and are generally vans and station wagons. The law restricts them to carrying a maximum of eight (8) pupil passengers.Are there special inspection procedures for 7D vehicles?
Yes. In addition to the annual state inspection, 7D vehicles are required to have a semi-annual safety inspection. These additional inspections take place in February – March and again in October-November. You can use the following link to learn more about 7D Vehicle Inspections.
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/7dmanual.Do you supply “loaner cars” for people leaving their vehicles at your shop for repairs?
Yes. We provide our customers with late model Chevy Cobalts for their use until the work on their vehicle is completed. If loaner transportation is not available, one of our employees will drive you to your destination. *Driver must be 25 years old to qualify for a loaner vehicle.What kinds of trucks is Birchler’s Automotive capable of towing?
We can provide towing for any light, medium, or heavy duty vehicles.What is ASE Certification?
The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) was established in 1972 to improve the quality of vehicle repair and service through the voluntary testing and certification of technicians and other automotive service professionals. ASE’s tests are industry-driven and are grouped into specialties that cover virtually every on-highway vehicle service segment. The exams stress knowledge of job-related skills. Certification consists of passing at least one specialty test and documenting two years of relevant work experience. To maintain certification, those with ASE credentials must be retested every five years.How many tests are there for auto technicians?
There are specialty exams covering all major areas of repair. There are eight tests for auto technicians alone: Engine Repair, Engine Performance, Electrical/Electronic Systems, Brakes, Heating and Air Conditioning, Suspension and Steering, Manual Drive Train and Axles, and Automatic Transmissions. There are also exams for collision repair technicians, engine machinists, parts specialists, and others. ASE requires technicians to re-test every five years to keep up with technology and to remain certified. All ASE credentials have expiration dates.How can I learn more about the ASE certification registration/testing process?
The following link will take you to the home page for the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence http://ase.com/.
What are EVTs?
EVTs service fire apparatus, ambulances and airport rescue/fire fighting vehicles. They need to be certified to perform repairs and maintenance on these types of vehicles.
Where can I learn more about EVT certification program?
Where can I find out about the various EVT exams and how to prepare for them?
Where can I obtain training to prepare for EVT certification tests?